The Chinese disaster on Dolce & Gabbana's controversial ads campaign took place while thousands of luxury Italian fashion products were removed from China's largest shopping sites and asked to boycott traction brand earned.
The high-fashion brand is facing a growing storm in China after a video campaign it has been criticized as racist and insensitive, and incendiary messages from Stefano Gabbana's co-founder Instagram account have become viral.
Cross-border e-commerce site Yangmatou said on Wednesday night that he took 58,000 D & G products from his website, saying that "the motherland is more important than anything else." On Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.'s Tmall shopping portal, a search for D & G in English and Chinese has not worked. Searches on popular shopping sites JD.com and Kaola NetEase did not return any results for D & G articles.
Alibaba, JD.com Inc. and NetEase Inc. did not respond immediately to requests for comments. Dolce & Gabbana did not respond immediately to a request for comments on the articles.
Dolce & Gabbana's problems are met at a time when global luxury brands are increasingly dependent on China to boost growth. Consumers spent more than $ 100 billion last year on high-end product purchases – nearly a third of the world's total. It fears that Chinese demand for first-class goods has slowed down in the face of a decline in consumer confidence, and the US-China trade war that took place last month triggered anxiety last month, destroying the market value of around 160 billion dollars.
D & G was forced to postpone a fashion show in Shanghai before Wednesday's start, while celebrities said they would not participate and the models were withdrawn. A comment on the WeChat account of the People's Daily said that the Ministry of Culture and Tourism issued an announcement to cancel the event. The comment also included a warning: "If one does not want to understand China, it will eventually lose China's market and the benefits of China's growth."
The brand is also wilderness by the spokesmen and celebrities behind. His ambassadors for the Asia Pacific region, singer Karry Wang and actress Dilraba Dilmurat, who is Uigher, have signed contracts with the company. The film "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", Zhang Ziyi, said he would also boycott the brand.
Estelle Chen, a Chinese model who entered Victoria's Secret Show this month, posted an Instagram message that claimed the demise of the D & G show. "China is rich yes, but China is rich in values, culture, and people, and will not spend money on a brand that does not respect it, "Chen wrote.
Increase of storm
The controversy broke out on Wednesday in an ad campaign containing videos that Chinese netizens said they were offensive and racist. The videos feature a Chinese model in a red dress, D & G sequins, struggling to eat Italian dishes such as spaghetti and cannoli pastries with a pair of sticks.
The videos contain traditional Chinese music and a suggestive voice from a male narrator who asks the actress who is trying to eat cannoli: "Is it too big for you?"
They were originally posted this week on Weibo, a Chinese microblogging service, and were wiped out after widespread social media agitation. The videos could be viewed in Instagram's account.
The upsurge has intensified after the screenshots of the messages sent by Stefano Gabbana's Instagram account, which occurred on the platform, including a message exchange that said the videos were posted "by my will". Another message complained about an "ignorant China Dirty Smelling Mafia" according to a shared screen image. Mark said in social media that his account and that of Gabbana had been hacked.
"Our dream was to bring to Shanghai a tribute event dedicated to China that tells us our history and vision," Gabbana and co-founder Domenico Dolce said in a statement sent earlier by email about the scandal. "What happened today was unfortunate not only for us, but also for all the people who worked day and night to bring this event to life."