The mother of an 18-year-old boy who contracted a virus who claimed the life of 10 children at a Wanaque long-term care center said she had to plead with the center's staff to take her daughter to a hospital when she has developed symptoms last weekend.

My mother was interviewed on Friday afternoon, when the State Department of Health announced that two more children were injured as a result of the adenovirus epidemic at the Wanaque Health and Rehabilitation Center.

the outbreak now affected 31 children and a staff member from the Wanaque Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center.

"Can you guess how bad it would be if I did not say I had to be in a hospital?" Mom said. "He should not have gone down to that."

A spokesman for the Wanaque Center did not immediately respond to a comment Friday night.

The mother, who lives in New York City and talked about the condition of anonymity to protect her family's intimacy, was close to her daughter's daughter at the Medical Center at St. Louis University. Joseph of Paterson almost all week. She said her daughter's condition has improved since she was admitted early on Monday.

Like many other parents with children in downtown Wanaque, Mother said she did not know that a deadly viral outbreak occurred at this unit until two weeks ago when she saw a TV news report that six children died. He had received a letter from the institution a few days earlier informing him that some children contracted the virus, but it was not mentioned how many of them were sick or some died.

– Why did they keep this from us? she said. "We have religiously checked it, we call it several times a day, without telling us, did not offer us any choice.

"We would have intervened," she added. "We could have asked for our children to be transferred to another place, I would have gone there, I would have taken care of my daughter and assure that everything was deleted, that everything was done to make sure it was not get sick. "

Her daughter was born with cerebral palsy and lived with her twin sister and mother in a New York City apartment. She suddenly entered the 12-year-old cardiac arrest, leaving her in a vegetative state, her mother said. The Wanaque Center, 50 kilometers from the family home, was the closest long-term care center for children who had an open bed and accepted Medicaid.

Mother described Wanaque care as decent, although she said she must remain on the top of the staff, which she said had a steady turnover. She said she and her daughter's father would be visiting the alternate weekends. She said she would call nurses at least once a day, demanding her daughter's vital conditions, and chronicled them in books, which she has now accumulated for at least 20 years.

"I'm not going to lie, they took care of her," she said. "I had to be at their head, but the treatment was generally good."

Mother has become more and more worried about the epidemic, as more and more children have become sick and the number of deaths has increased. After the epidemic became public, she said the assistants and assistants began to wear masks and dresses and use more disinfecting napkins.

"If the Department of Health was there and everyone had taken precautions, how did the virus spread to my daughter?" she said.

When she visited Saturday, November 5, she was worried that her daughter's mouth was yellow. She called the next day and was told that secretions are still present and that her daughter developed a temperature that reached 99.6 degrees.

The mother told staff that she wanted her daughter to be evaluated at a hospital. "But they said they were doing well," she said. "They said Tylenol gave her a fever, and he'd given her a chest X-ray, but I told her she had to be taken to the hospital."

The daughter was taken to St. Joseph at 1 am on Monday. The oxygen level in the blood has fallen and she received 80% pure oxygen in the emergency room to help restore these levels, said the mother.

Her daughter was diagnosed later that day with adenovirus. She developed pneumonia as a secondary infection. Blood pressure and blood sugar rose during the week, her mother said.

The daughter stabilized until Friday afternoon, and doctors hoped to recover, said the mother.

But she does not want her child to go back to Wanaque once it's better. She said she would like the Wanaque victims' parents to dress and ask for their children to be taken somewhere outside the center.

"I do not feel good at bringing her back there," she said. "I want to bring her home with me. I do not have enough space, but I do not want anyone else to look after her."

The Wanaque Center is one of only four of the state that accepts pediatric patients in the long term. The others are in Voorhees, the mountains and the river Toms.

Another case in Camden County

Meanwhile, state health officials announced on Friday that a second outbreak of a strain of adenovirus at the Pediatric Voorhees Pediatric Faculty in Camden County now spawned seven children.

The two outbreaks do not occur, state health officials report. More than 50 adenovirus strains have been identified nationwide by scientists, and the Wanaque outbreak is caused by type 7, while the Voorhees outbreak is caused by type 3.

More: The teenager's wounded mother suggests Wanaque, where 10 died in the adenovirus outbreak

More: Parents of the adenovirus victim: close the Wanaque center where 10 children died

The State has carried out on-site inspections at both experienced infection control facilities and teams, to assess both centers and educate staff members. A member of the Department of Health is currently present at the Wanaque Center. Both facilities ceased admitting the new ones until the outbreaks broke out.

Adenovirus usually causes conditions ranging from the throat, cough and pneumonia to diarrhea and pink eyes. In those with weakened immune system, it can be much worse. Many of the children in long-term care centers rely on the fans to breathe and feed the nutrition tubes.

The most recent patients who were injured were diagnosed this week, by the end of today. An outbreak is considered when two consecutive incubation periods of two weeks have passed. If no new cases are identified, the outbreak will be considered on December 6th.

E-mail: [email protected]


Kristine Deleg of Ossining, New York speaks on October 25, 2018, about the daughter of Elizabeth Poulos, who died last week while at Wanaque Center in Haskell, N.J.
Registration from North Jersey

Read or share this story: 1945294002 /